WEST END BOWLING CLUB to WEST TOOWOOMBA BOWLS CLUB INC.
With the formation of the "Darling Downs Bowling Club" on the 21st October 1900 the people on the western side of Toowoomba felt there was a need for a similar facility in their area as well.
As a result of the above the first of many meetings was called on 12 April 1910 at the then Globe Hotel in Ruthven Street with the above express purpose in mind. At this meeting the wheels were set in motion for the formation of the "West End Bowling Club" changed later to the "West Toowoomba Bowling Club" and again later to the "West Toowoomba Bowls Club" and later having "Inc." included.
With the formation of the club there are a number of significant dates that have to be recalled as memorable in the Club's History. These are as follows: -
12 April 1910 Initial meeting where it was decided to form a Bowls Club on the western side of Toowoomba
14 May 1910 Purchase of the first two block of land in Rome Street
18 June 1910 Meeting to form a Controlling Body
18 July 1910 Start of laying the first green in Rome Street
8 May 1911 Official opening of first green in Rome Street named the H.W. (Mick) Hard Green in 1985
28 Oct 1911 First Annual General Meeting and affiliation with the Queensland Bowling Association
3 May 1913 Pavilion officially opened
14 May 1932 Official opening of the little green in Rome Street named The Malcolm Green
24 Aug 1936 Formation of the Ladies Bowling Club
1937 New clubhouse officially opened
Feb 1951 Play began on the Taylor Street green
8 Mar 1952 Official opening of third green named The Syd Nuss (Snr) Green on 26 April 1970
25 July 1957 Clubhouse shifted to present location
31 Aug 1957 Official opening of new Clubhouse and first time ladies were allowed to play on a Sunday in mixed bowls
26 Oct 1972 Official opening of Clubhouse alterations
Mar 1992 Introduction of our first Poker machines
Dec 1993 Purchase of old Drive in Theatre for relocation
9 Dec 2002 Sale of old Drive in Theatre meaning any thoughts of relocation were discarded